Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Dramas with above 30% ratings

Now that I've gone through a list of the underperformers in the dorama scene, here are the high fliers i.e. those which got above 30% for its average / last episode / single episode rating. Note that this list isn't exhaustive though because there should have been some older dramas before the 90s which I'm not familar with or never heard before. As per the previous post, those I watched before but did not complete are in red while those in blue are those I finished. Is it not so much of a surprise that I've seen more dramas here than in the list of below 10% dramas? ^__^ Ah, the golden age of the 90s and early 2000s dramas!

Do post your comments on which you've watched before and we can all have a discussion on how we feel about these hits:

Source: Naver

- Oshin / NHK (average was 52.6%)

- Mito Komon / TBS (last episode - 43.7%)

- Beautiful Life / TBS / average rating of 32.3% (Finale was a high of 41.3%) - Great chemistry between the leads and beautiful story!

- 3nen Bgumi Kinpachi Sensei / TBS (Highest rating was 39.9%)

- Karei Naru Ichizoku / TBS (last episode in Kanto region was 30.4% and 39.3% in the Kansai region) - I kept grumbling but yes, I still finished this.

- Wataru Seiken wa Oni Bakari / TBS (highest rating was 34.2%)

- Danjo 7nin Aki Monogatari / TBS (last episode was 36.6%)

- Double Kitchen / TBS (last episode was 30.7%) - I can't even recall why I didn't finish this.

- Long Vacation / FujiTV (last episode was 36.7%) - My all-time favourite!! Minami! Sena!

- 101-kaime no Propozu / FujiTV (last episode was 36.7%) - A long time ago, Japanese dramas always had these scenes where someone dashes in front of a truck/car to prove that he/she is serious about something. Nowadays, Korean dramas also have this but it's used somewhat differently i.e. as a tool to "kill" a key character in order to make the story more tragic or for the lead couple to get together after a close brush with death. The multi-purpose truck scene is all that I remember from this drama though.

- HERO / FujiTV (last episode was 36.8%) - I don't really like KimuTaku but I enjoyed this drama! KimuTaku's best onscreen partner is still Matsu Takako after all these years.

- Ienakiko / NTV (highest rating was 37.2%) - this was when I started to like Adachi Yumi. She was very very popular at that time! I liked the 2nd series better though because it featured Domoto Koichi of KinKi Kids and Kusanagi Tsuyoshi of SMAP. The ending was especially tragic!

- Nemureru Mori / FujiTV (highest rating was 30.8%) - Erm, I liked the story and BGM but I wasn't so thrilled about the ending or the combination of KimuTaku and Nakayama Miho. They just didn't look compatible unlike KimuTaku and Matsu Takako.

- GOOD LUCK!! / TBS (highest rating was 37.6%) - KimuTaku looked the best here among all the dramas I've seen him in but still, I didn't fancy his acting. The supporting cast of Tsutsumi Shinichi, Shibasaki Kou and Kuroki Hitomi were more appealing at that time.

- Hitotsu Yane no Shita / FujiTV (highest rating was 37.8%) - Eguchi Yosuke got on my nerves then for his passionate acting but I liked this family story and its characters on the whole.

- Yamato Nadeshiko / FujiTV (highest rating was 34.2%) - Tsutsumi Shinichi! Matsushima Nanako looked very pretty here too~

- GTO / FujiTV (highest rating was 35.7%) - The idea was very interesting at that time but a lot of similar stories after GTO killed this genre. I could never sit through another teacher-student drama like this unless it's of the serious type. I don't particularly fancy Sorimachi Takashi but the actors playing the students then e.g. Kubozuka Yosuke and Oguri Shun made me sit up and take notice. Matsushima Nanako also did fairly well here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chiaki! ^_^

Ratings ranking list! Woot!

I've watched long vacation, and GTO. I enjoyed both and I just love long vacation, i think this drama was the one that made me go crazy for KimuTaku back then. lol

Have heard of Yamato Nadeshiko, Hero and beautiful life (I can't watch sad dramas with people who are sick and might die in it>.<). Might have watched few episodes, not sure, it was looong time ago.

And I keep coming across 'Oshin' but up until now I have no idea what it's about, and the rest haven't even heard about them before, maybe I'll check them out later.

Thank you for the post! Just dropping by for a few sec and can't believe you've posted the ranking! So fast. I haven't go through the 10% ranking list yet, I'll get there when I'm free again.

Anyway, what's your top 3 favs from this list that you watched?

Ok, got to go, see ya! ^__^

Chiaki said...

Hi, glad that you enjoyed reading this list!

With regard to Oshin, I did a brief check and see that the story is about a lady named Oshin who goes through the tough times of the Meiji, Taisho and Showa eras but I must have been too young at that time when they were showing it on local TV. Not much of an impression though.

As for my top 3, if it's restricted to the list above, it will be Long Vacation -> Ienakiko -> Hero. I notice that my favourites tend to be the ones in the middle range for ratings or those which don't do so well. Maybe it's because I'm becoming less convinced in recent years that high ratings = good dramas. If I have to name some of my favourites outside this list, that would be Hakusen Nagashi, Koi no Chikara, Suna no Utsuwa, Joshiana, Joi, Keizoku and Tengoku ni Ichiban Chikai Otoko 2.

でりら said...

Love this lists. A lot of the dramas here starred KimuTaku, which I guest was the reason for his immense popularity. My favorite among the list are Good Luck! and GTO. After seeing this list, I'm more excited to watch Yamato Nadeshiko.